This is a recipe from food writer and restauranteur Jesse Cool and it is a keeper because it adapts for seasonal flexibility with no fuss. For all her fancy cooking, this is one of her staple standbys for dinner at home. In winter, Jesse uses organic frozen vegetables from Cascadian Farms; in summer, fresh. We like white corn, if available. Keep your paprika in the refrigerator instead of the cupboard to keep it fresh.
- Machine: Medium (6 cup) rice cooker
- Yield: Serves 3 to 4
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon sweet or spicy ground paprika
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen English peas
- 1/2 cup fresh corn cut off the cob or frozen corn kernels
- Place the rice in a fine strainer or bowl, rinse with cold water, and drain twice.
- Coat the rice bowl with a nonstick vegetable spray. Place the rice in the rice bowl. Add the water, salt, and all the rest of the ingredients into the rice bowl. Stir just to combine, then cover and program for the regular cooking cycle. Let the rice rest 10 minutes on the Keep Warm cycle. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. (c) 2002, used by permission from the Harvard Common Press.
Recipe and text copyright Beth Hensperger 2013
Please enjoy the recipe and make it your own. If you copy the recipe and text for internet use, please include my byline and link to my site.