Summer vegetables are so tender that usually they are not roasted, but this combination of vegetables with herbs and a touch of olive oil is stupendous. Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold along with summer grill meat or fish, sausages, or a quick chicken sauté.
- Cooker: Medium or large round or oval
- Setting and Cook Time: HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
- Serves 6
- 2 large red bell peppers, or 1 red and 1 yellow, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 large red onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- 3 medium-size yellow crookneck or pattypan summer squash, ends trimmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 medium-size zucchini, ends trimmed, and cut into thick matchsticks; or 1 pound baby zucchini with blossoms attached, left whole
- 5 ounces fresh green beans, stem end snapped off
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or savory
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 to 4 tablespoons white or dark balsamic vinegar
- Put all the vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the oil and basil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly. Cover and cook on HIGH until the vegetables are just tender and still hold their shape, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve sprinkled with the parsley and vinegar.