These ribs are coated with a tasty glaze of hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, and a little pineapple juice. After opening the jar of hoisin, store it in the refrigerator, where it will last nearly forever. Serve these ribs with steamed rice and a cabbage slaw.
- Cooker: Large round or oval
- Setting and Cook Time: LOW for 8 to 9 hours
- Serves 8
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or papaya nectar
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut or sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 8 pounds country-style pork spareribs, cut into serving pieces of 3 to 4 ribs
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, hoisin, honey, pineapple juice, vinegar, oil, and garlic. Add the ribs and turn to completely coat them with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Arrange the rib portions in the slow cooker and pour the marinade over them. If you are using a round cooker, lift the ribs so the sauce can get in between them. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours, until the meat is tender and starts to separate from the bone. Serve immediately, with lots of napkins.