Ever tried preparing rice in a hurry? It usually does end well. Most times, you end up messing up the kitchen. You have to find another means of preparing rice quickly without the kitchen being messy.
I present to you the oster rice cooker. The oster rice cooker is simple and easy to use. Not only does it cook rice, but it also cooks long grains rice, brown rice and sushi rice.
With just one button, you can effortlessly cook rice in no time. The oster rice cooker doesn’t just prepare rice, you also can steam fish and corn.
Despite being easy and simple to use, you have to master the crafts of rice cooking.
In this article, we discuss the parts of an oster rice cooker and how to use them. Also, we discuss the things to consider before buying an oster rice.
Before then, here is a review of the best Oster rice cookers.
Reviews of Best Oster Rice Cookers 2021
Here are top rated Oster Rice Cooker on the market today by Consumer Reports
Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steamer
This c1-litre capacity rice cooker can cook 6 cups of perfectly cooked rice and grains. Making it the perfect choice for couples and families. It has a transparent lid so you can easily look into the pot while cooking.
Also, it comes with a litre vegetable steamer for steaming your fish or vegetables to go with your rice dish. The oster 6-cups rice cooker has a removable dishwasher and non-sticking inner pot. This feature allows for easy cleaning of the rice cooker.
Furthermore, it features an integrated one-touch control system. It has a power indicator light that goes off when the food is ready and an automatic keep-warm function that keeps your food at the ideal serving temperature.
- A capacity to hold three cups of dry rice.
- A one-touch control system.
- 1-litre steamer tray for fish and vegetables.
- A transparent glass lid so you can easily look into the pot.
- Allows for easy cleaning
- Automatic keep-warm features
- Exceptional performance
- It cannot cook more than 6 cups of rice.
Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steam Tray
This 3.6 pounds weight rice cooker comes with a steam tray, ladle and measuring cup. It is built for high performance and durability.
This 6-cup rice cooker can cook just 6-cups of dry rice. You can prepare both rice and veggies at the same time. Hence, its multi-use purpose.
Possessing removable and transparent parts offers easy cleaning and monitoring. It can automatically switch from the cooking mode to the warm mode till you are ready to serve.
It has a tempered glass lid with steam vents that allow quick and thorough cooking. Also, this steam vent prevents excess moisture accumulation when cooking.
- Removable non-sticking pots.
- Steam vents prevent moisture accumulation when cooking.
- Automatic “keep warm feature”.
- Tampered Glass lid.
- Comes with a cup for measuring rice.
- With this oster 6-cups rice cooker with a steam tray, you can cook rice and veggies simultaneously.
- It possesses non-sticking pots that allow for easy cleaning.
- It can cook up to 3 cups of dry rice.
- Parts of this rice cooker cannot be cleaned by baking soda.
Oster 14-cups Rice Cooker
The Oster 14-cups Rice cooker is a one-touch manual rice cooker with designs to cook rice. It does not just cook rice, this rice cooker can cook rice and steam vegetables at the same time. Owing to its multi-use function.
It has a capacity of cooking 14 cups of perfectly cooked rice. Hence, it is perfect for both small and large families. It has a removable steamer and inner pot. This allows for easy cleaning of its parts.
It can switch itself off when your rice is perfectly cooked, and keep it warm for hours. With the indicator light it has, you can tell whether it is on.
- Capacity to hold perfectly cooked 14-cups of rice.
- It has a multi-use function. Earning it the ability to cook rice and steam vegetables at the same time.
- Ability to automatically switch from cook mode to warm mode.
- Easy to clean inner parts like the steamer and inner pot.
- Large capacity of 14-cups of rice.
- Automatic integrated functional system.
- Its parts cannot be washed by vinegar.
Oster 20-Cups Digital Rice Cooker
The Oster 20-Cup Digital rice cooker has an incredible capacity for 20cups of cooked rice. Hence, serving very large families.
Not that alone, it has a digital function that offers you five cooking functions: brown rice, white rice, breakfast, soup and steam. Amazingly, it has a digital timer that lets the food cook at your own timing.
Furthermore, it has a tampered glass lid that forms an airtight seal for steams and flavours. For easy cleaning, it has a non-stick inner pot and removable parts. This electric cooker comes with a rice paddle, steaming tray and measuring cup.
Finally, it can cook rice, hot cereals, soup and steam fish and vegetables.
- Digital programmable controls with 5 versatile cooling functions.
- Convenient delay timer that allows the specific start and stops time.
- Locking lids that provide an airtight condition with the lids cold to touch.
- A cord length of 28″ and 700W.
- Automatic adjustment of temperature.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- It allows for easy cleaning of its parts.
- It has a convenient delay timer that allows food to cook at your own timing.
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- It comes with a rice paddle, rice-paddle holder clip, steam tray and measuring cup.
- Bleaching, vinegar or any hard cleaner cannot be used for cleaning.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Oster Rice Cooker
For people who are new in the market, it can be quite a task buying the best Oster rice cooker. We shall be discussing the essential feature to look out for when buying a rice cooker.
The capacity of the electric rice cooker
In buying a rice cooker, your reason for buying it will decide the size to buy. if you wish to get one for just yourself, it is advisable to get one with a small capacity.
The capacity of rice cookers ranges from 6-cups to 20-cups. For a large family, get one with 20-cups capacity. For single-use, get one with 6-cups capacity.
Delay start features
Talking about the best electric rice cookers, they come with digital controls. The delay-start control feature is very essential for oster rice cookers. It allows for the proper timing of your food.
Some rice cookers even tell you the time left before your food is ready. We advise that you always check for digital features when getting an Oster rice cooker.
There are two mechanisms used by oster rice cookers – heat induction and thermal cooking. Both are good.
The heat allows you to perfectly cook rice at the time. Making it better than thermal cooking.
This is an important feature to look for when getting a rice cooker. Oster rice cookers often come with one-touch operations that allow you to cook foods by pressing a button. The best Oster rice cookers offer you digital options for cooking varieties of dishes.
Detachable power cord
An electric rice cooker ought to have a detachable cord. The detachable cord is to allow you to move the oster rice cooker conveniently.
Oster Rice Cooking Instructions
Having discussed the things to consider when buying an Oster rice cooker, we shall give you instructions on how to use an oster rice cooker. Below is a guide on how to use a rice cooker.
Prepare the rice
We often advise that you rinse the rice with cold water. Rinsing the rice with cold water will help remove starch that will clog the rice while cooking. Also, you are sure that the rice won’t boil over in the cooker.
Water to rice ratio
The water to rice ratio is depending on the type of grain of rice. For long-grain rice, they are usually resistant to water. Hence, a need to add little water to compensate for this.
A good rule of thumb is that you should use:
White rice: 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice.
Long grain or brown rice: 2 cups of water for every 1cup.
After filling the cooker with the right amount of water, dump the rice in the cooker. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Close the lid and plug in your rice cooker. You are ready to go!
When the rice cooker is on, you’ll see a red light. Oster rice cookers take an average of 15 minutes to cook rice as they are very fast.
The red light switches to an orange one once you are done cooking. This also indicates that the cooker is in keep-warm mode.
Tip: leave the rice for 15 to 20 minutes to allow it to soak up additional moisture in the pot. In doing so, the rice is softened.
Oster Rice Cookers have an upper steamer tray to steam corn, vegetables and fish. The steamer helps to preserve the colour, taste, and nutrients of all vegetables.
Oster Rice Cooker Parts
The parts of an oster rice cooker include the following:
- Inner pot: this is a container that contains the rice while cooking
- Steamer tray: this is usually found on the upper part of the oster rice cooker
- Cooker stand: it holds the same rice cooker, allowing it to stand.
- Tampered glass lid: it allows you to monitor the process of cooking.
Having discussed the things to be considered when getting a rice cooker. We see that the reason for getting an Oster rice cooker tells on the size of the rice cooker that you buy.
Also, we discuss why Oster rice cookers have transparent lids. The lid is to allow you to monitor the progress of your cooking.
Finally, when cleaning an Oster rice cooker, we advise that you do not use bleach, vinegar and baking soda. As they may corrode the internal parts of the cooker.